The Lusaka City Council (LCC), has demolished additional illegal structures in a coordinated night operation along Mosi-otunya Road and Tokyo Way.
The latest enforcement exercise, conducted by Council Police in collaboration with State Police between 18:00hrs and 23:00hrs yesterday, saw the removal of eight (8) illegal mobile money booths along Mosi-otunya road and one (1) makeshift structure along Tokyo Way.
This follows a similar operation on Sunday, August 17, during which 34 illegal makeshift structures were dismantled in the same area, including a car wash located near High Life off Ring Road/Tokyo Way.
In a statement issued to RCV News today, Council Assistant Public Relations Manager Nyambe Bulumba confirmed that several warnings and enforcement notices had been issued to the structure owners prior to the demolitions.
“However, the directives were not heeded, prompting the local authority to take decisive action to restore order and ensure that business activities in the area are conducted lawfully,” said Mr. Bulumba.
Mr. Bulumba further said that the Council is intensifying its monitoring, inspections and surveillance efforts to curb all forms of illegal construction across Lusaka in line with the Regional and Urban Planning Act No. 3 of 2015.
He has since encouraged residents to report any unauthorized structures in their communities to support swift enforcement action.
By Margaret Mwanza