Close this search box.


The Lusaka City Council (LCC) has appealed to Lusaka residents to take precautions and guard against fire incidents during the period of  load shedding.

The Local Authority is concerned about the increasing number of fire incidents reported in the city and is urging residents to take preventive measures to avoid such occurrences.

“Over the past week, 16 fire cases have been recorded, each with different causes,” said LCC Public Relations Manager Chola Mwamba.

Ms. Mwamba said major contributing factors to the fire incidents include residents failing to switch off electrical appliances when not in use or during power outages.

She has advised residents to exercise caution when handling electrical appliances in their homes and shops.

Ms. Mwamba has said in a statement to RCV News in Lusaka today, that it is important to extinguish all candles and braziers after use, particularly at night.

“Given the load management measures implemented by ZESCO, citizens are urged to develop a habit of switching off all electrical appliances when power is cut off in their respective areas,” said Ms. Mwamba.

She said the practice can significantly reduce the risk of fires caused by electrical faults.

Ms. Mwamba said members of the public can safeguard their lives and properties, preventing avoidable fire incidents, by taking precautions.


By Michelo Hachizibe.



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *